The IdEA Laboratory brings together specific expertises in material science for the study and the production of new materials relevant in the energy and enviromental fields, with knowledge and instrumentations in the field of the radiation interaction with surfaces and molecules.
The activities of the laboratory are organized as follow:
- Synthesis of new materials (catalysts and photocatalysts) by combining deposition techniques (RF-sputtering, DC-sputtering, Pulsed Laser Deposition) with irradiation techniques.
- Controlled modification of hydride surfaces with the aim to improve the absorption / desorption processes of the hydrogen molecules.
- Synthesis of thin films on porous materials to produce molecular sieves to separate selectively hydrogen from CO and other impurities.
- Experimental study of chemical hydrides for processes of hydrogenation and de- hydrogenation.
- Development of photo-electrochemical cells by optimizing the processes of photo- absorption and photo-excitation.
- Study and characterization of porosities by 3-gammas Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy (3 gammas-PAS), in thin porous films for developments of molecular sieves and dielectrics at very low permeability.
- Characterization of the chemical environment of the open volume defects and porosities by Dual Doppler Broadening in coincidence technique (DDB-PAS).
- Study, by Depth Profiling Positron Annihilation Spectroscopy (DP-PAS), of the effects due to open volume defects (from vacancies to nano-cavities) on: a) dielectrics properties of oxides based on C and Si, b) absorption and desorption kinetics of hydrogen from hydrides, c) electrical and functional properties of semiconductors.
- Positron-molecule cross-section measurements: European EPIC project.
- Activities of technological transfer.
|Professors||Roberto S. Brusa, Riccardo Checchetto, Antonio Miotello|
|PhD students||Luca Basso, Murilo Alexandre Fendrich (dottorando in Materiali, Meccatronica e Ingegneria dei Sistemi), Federico Gorrini, Francesco Guatieri, Yaksh J, Popat, David Roilo, Loredana Schiavo|
|Technical staff||Nicola Bazzanella, Marco Bettonte, Massimo Cazzanelli|
|Permanent collaborators||Claudio Cestari, Luigino Vivaldi|